Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Urulaikizhangu varuval / Deep fried potato scrappings / Bangaladumpa fry

Urulaikizhangu varuval / Deep fried potato scrappings / Bangaladumpa fry

This unhealthy (yea I agree!!!) but a very tasty, crispy potato fry I learned form one of my sister. She prepared this for her daughter who was in hostel at that time. When we went to the place where she was studying,  my sister gave a tiffin box to us to give to her. When we reached the place we handed it over to her. She opened the tiffin box and I saw that the entire tiffin box is being filled with this golden, crispy fry. As usual I just picked some immediately and dropped it in my mouth. Wow !!! what a treat it was :).

Do any of you love the potato remains that sticks to tha bottom of a pan when your mom prepares potato fry ? I love it. I adore it. I used to wait for that one teaspoon wonder all the time near the pan and I used to get upset when the potato behaves good and doesn't leave its mark on the pan :). The potato remains taste exactly like this fry. So I enquired about the recipe and this is the first time I made it. Try it, your children will love it. This is not a healthy way to prepare potato but once in a while should be OK.

Ingredients :

Potato- 2 nos
Red chilli powder- according to your need and taste
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying

Method :


Wash the potato well and scrap the potatoes using a scrapper. Now squeeze the scrappings to remove excess liquid. Deep fry them in hot oil. Take them out when they acquire a golden colour. Place them on tissue paper to remove excess oil. When they cool down add enough chilli powder and salt and mix well with your hands. Tasty potato fry will be ready in no time.

Taste enhancing tips for this recipe : Remove the excess liquid from the scrappings by squeezing them otherwise they will imbibe oil. You can add garlic scrappings and curry leaves when frying for that extra aroma. Add salt and chilli powder only at the end of preparation. Serve with rasam saadham. Happy cooking !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment