Thursday, January 17, 2013

Appam and Mutton Stew

Appam and Mutton Stew
Usually for appam I like chicken curry, this time for a change I made mutton stew and surprisingly this combination was excellent. Mutton is not much liked dish in our family compared to chicken and if I happen to cook mutton some day I end up eating most of the meat pieces, so fearing that I dont cook often. Same way in this dish the gravy got over pretty fast and only the meat pieces were remaining. This recipe is from  my old recipe collection which  I totally forgot that I had one such collection. I tried hard to recollect from whom I got this recipe but in vain my memory is totally lost on that as this is more than 10 yrs old collection and I feel really bad that  I am not able to thank the person who gave me this awesome recipe. Here is the recipe...  

For Appam 

Ingredients

Raw rice and idli rice (par boiled rice) should be of equal ratio. I used raw rice 1and 1/2 cup and idli rice 1 and 1/2 cup
Urad dhal - 3 tsp
Salt as required
Coconut Milk - 1 cup
Baking Powder - 1tsp

Method 
Soak the rice and urad dhal over night or for 6 hrs and grind to a fine thick batter and add salt and set to ferment  for 8 hrs.
When you are ready to make appam , pour the coconut milk, baking powder and 1/2 tsp of sugar and set for 5 mins and consistency should be little watery than the dosa batter.
Using appam pan , make   appams and serve with anything of your choice or with this mutton stew.

Mutton Stew

Ingredients
Mutton - 1/2 lb
Potatoes - 1 big cubed
Onion - 1 chopped
Green Chilies - 3 slit
Ginger - 1"
Cinnamon - 1", Cloves - 4, Cardamom- 2
Curry Leaves - 6
Coconut Shredded - 1/2 cup - extract the milk
Coconut oil - 1tsp
Salt as required

Method
Pressure-cook the mutton with salt till tender. Reserve the stock.
Heat oil in a pan and add the cinnamon, clove and cardamom and add onion, ginger and chilies and stir and add potatoes and add the mutton stock and cook until the potatoes are half cooked.
Add the cooked mutton and cook for 10 mins in low flame.
Add the coconut milk and bring to boil and remove from stove. Garnish with Cilantro and serve hot with appams.


No comments:

Post a Comment